[CT Birds] "Improvements' at Hammonasset Park, and their effects

shootsnaps at aol.com shootsnaps at aol.com
Wed Jun 19 21:32:33 EDT 2013

Hello Fred:

I belong to the Connecticut Onithological Association (COA) which is an active birding group with members all over CT. I myself have only recently joined as I retired last fall, and have been actively monitoring the activity of the Osprey at Tod's (Greenwich) Point. You can see their progress at our web site, http://www.libraphotography.com/osprey-nesting-2013.html .

Below, please see a letter written by one of our members, John S. Schwarz of Westbrook to DEEP Commissioner Esty which eloquently describes a threat by the State to the natural patterns through Hammonasset of migratory birds in the Northeast.

While I am not active in the Hammonasset area, I share the concerns expressed below because I see similar activities occuring locally at Tod's Point. We would appreciate your comments and what support you may be able to lend our cause.

Best Regards,

AL Scuterud
Old Greenwich
shootsnaps at aol.com
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2013 13:13:13 -0400 (EDT)
From: "john at birdspix.com" <schwarzjs at aol.com>

 I have sent the following letter. Also, just in case they haven't yet been made
aware, the Hartford Courant, and any of the local TV affiliates, should also be
kept fully informed about what is happening so that the public is aware.

Dear Commissioner. Esty:

     By now you have probably have already become aware of the consternation
over "improvements" being made at Hammonasset State Park in Madison. Please
allow me to offer my own personal very grave concerns:

     My interest is as a bird photographer (www.birdspix.com) who travels all
over the country in this pursuit. I reside in Westbrook and, like many other
Connecticut nature devotees, spend more time at Hammonasset than at any other
single site in Connecticut. Many may not understand that Hammonasset is far more
than a beach and a campground, it is an ecologically sensitive nature preserve
and a crucial annual migratory stopover for many bird species, as well as a
summer or winter home for countless others including four species of owls.

     Of particular immediate concern is the filling in of rain pools and new
paving under consideration. Each year the rain pools and gravelly fields and
unpaved overflow parking areas provide necessary and irreplaceable habitat for
Black-bellied and American Golden Plovers, Least and White-rumped Sandpipers,
Horned Larks, Lapland Longspurs, Snow Buntings, Savannah and Vesper Sparrows,
and numerous other species. Human altering of what nature has purposely provided
for these species is an enormous, if unintentional, mistake.

     I understand that it is likely that whoever made the unfortunate decision
to fill in the rain pools did so in a well-intentioned effort to improve on the
aesthetics of the park and was most likely unaware of the concomitant dire
adverse affects on the park's dependent avifauna.

     It is not too late to undo the damage done so far, by fully restoring the
rain pools to their prior natural condition, thereby returning them to the
purpose that nature intended all along.  I implore that this be done, with
urgency, before autumn migration begins, fully understanding that indeed this
action may require the reluctant swallowing of someone's personal pride, with
the admission that a simply wrong decision had unknowingly been made without all
the relevant considerations having been fully understood, but rest assured that
in the end such an admission will be met only with the sincerest appreciation
and relief, with no recriminations.

     Any consideration of new paving anywhere in the park should be put on
immediate indefinite hold while the serious adverse consequences to nature
receive all the due time and attention they require to be fully aired,
publicized, discussed, and understood, lest any more damage be done, this time,
unthinkably, of the irreparable kind.

     Like all of my Connecticut colleagues, I am ready to meet with you or any
others with authority in this matter, at any time and place convenient to you,
to help address this ongoing concern. The restoration of the rain pools really
can not wait, as the annual shorebird migration will already be getting underway
in July.

Very sincerely,

John S. Schwarz
Westbrook