[CT Birds] Swans on Kent Pond

Jane Olsen olsenj at stlukesct.org
Fri Jun 21 08:10:26 EDT 2013

For the past few years I have monitored the breeding swan pair at Kent Pond
in Wilton with a couple of my students through the spring.  They make their
nest in the marsh grasses on the Route 33 side, and, after the cygnets
hatch, they can be seen cruising around the pond.  In previous years, my
impression is that either one or none of the cygnets remained by early
summer.  This year there were 7 cygnets to start, first seen around May 15,
and, as of today, there are 5 remaining. Both times this week when I have
checked on them, the whole family has been up on the dirt patch in the
fishing area, where there is a bench and a trash can and a lot of human
activity.  Both times there were cars parked there and other people around.
 I was able to get quite close to get a picture with my phone (no zoom,
even).  I wonder if they have figured out that, on balance for their
species, the human presence is protective.  Certainly a hawk is less likely
to try to grab one of their babies with people 3 feet away.  It does feel
unnatural, though, especially seeing those cygnets lying on the dirt.  I
also wonder if they are not completely healthy, as I have not seen them out
on the water lately.  Of course, mute swans are not in need of any
particular protection, but one hates to see a mom & dad lose their babies.
https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10151789639216454.1073741828.757491453&type=3&uploaded=10

--

Jane Nicklin Olsen
Fifth Grade Teacher
email: olsenj at stlukesct.org
phone: +1 (203) 801-4905

*This email and any files transmitted with it are confidential and intended
If you are not the intended recipient, please notify the sender immediately
by return e-mail, delete this e-mail and any attachments and destroy any
copies. Any dissemination or use of this information by a person other than
the intended recipient is unauthorized.*

*Please consider the environment before printing this email.
*