[CT Birds] Sharp shinned Hawk

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Sat Jun 22 16:12:32 EDT 2013

As many on this list must know, sharp-shinned hawk is considered endangered as a breeding species in Connecticut.  Overall, they do not influence the population of chickadees, titmice or other birds in the forest other than perhaps around a feeding station.  At this season, chickadees and their kin have little reason to hang around feeders they way they do in winter, especially when there are young in the nest.  Caterpillars and other soft-bodied insects are much more important with regard to their dietary preferences.  Eliminating feeders will not cause any concern at this time of the year.  It will also keep squirrels, raccoons, and yes, bears away from the house.  If you still want to feed, please bring feeders in late afternoon.

Jay Kaplan
Canton