[CT Birds] Milford Point spit

Scott Kruitbosch skruitbosch at ctaudubon.org
Sat Jun 22 18:13:05 EDT 2013

Yes, there are Least Terns in many areas of the spit, including some out of the fencing. Sean Graesser and I counted ~325 nests from about 700 adults on Thursday evening as an official and methodical census in our positions in the Audubon Alliance for Coastal Waterbirds for CT DEEP and USFWS. More nests will be coming. We cannot fence off or close the entire thing for a multitude of reasons.

PLEASEEEEEEEE stay out and off of the spit if you are only there to bird or photograph. There is absolutely no need to be out there right now. We need all the help we can get from everyone here. There are plenty of random folks who wander out there unknowingly. As birders you can help the situation by not adding to it. This could be a tremendous success if we give them room. There can be plenty of nice viewing opportunities from the Coastal Center's platform and property. This is me begging everyone to please let the birding and photography on the spit go for a month or two and help the birds out.

If you want to become a monitor email ctwaterbirds at gmail.com and you can officially help these birds. If you want to unofficially help please tell folks who are coming down on CACC property about the birds and fencing and reconsider any walks out there. Besides disturbing hundreds of Least Terns there are still several Piping Plover families with 18 young of various ages that are extremely vulnerable right now. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.

========
Scott Kruitbosch
Conservation Technician
Connecticut Audubon Society