[CT Birds] Hammo "improvements"

jaybrd49 at aol.com jaybrd49 at aol.com
Wed Jun 19 13:16:13 EDT 2013

Think about this.  Do you beach goers really want to blacktop the parking areas at Hammo?  Ever walk barefoot on blacktop on a hot summer day?  Of course, you have.  It is time to think outside the box on how to stop these types of "improvement" projects that are, in reality, not only inappropriate for migrant shorebirds, but just plain bad for the environment.

The fact is that we cannot expect "saving" birds or other wildlife to stop these projects because that is not going to happen.  Strategies must be developed to demonstrate cost/benefit analyses, effects upon air and/or water, etc. and other issues with which the regulatory boards and commissions are concerned.

Today's Hartford Courant has devoted a significant amount of space to Texas Gov. Rick Perry's wooing of Connecticut businesses.  One of the articles mentions Texas's lack of environmental concerns.  Maybe our two states have more in common than we think?

Jay Kaplan