[CT Birds] Osprey, Eastford; Boston Hollow, Ashford

Mntncougar at aol.com Mntncougar at aol.com
Wed Jun 19 22:19:47 EDT 2013

Today  (6-19-13) I checked the Osprey nest at the Eastford  marsh on Rt 44.
There was one adult sitting on the edge of the nest and  calling
periodically, but I didn't see any sign of the mate in the 45 minutes or  so I was
there. The nest looked empty, but after about half an hour  I  saw movement and
a nestling stood and stretched its wings a couple of times.  Still very
young. I saw no evidence there was more than one.  Saw one B  Kingfisher around
the marsh.
I don't know how often the mate typically returns to a  nest, but that nest
has failed a couple of times in the last several years even  after
successful hatching. The male had apparently abandoned it or didn't  provide enough
food to keep the nestlings going. Time will  tell.
I have been visiting Boston Hollow once or twice a week,  but of course,
like everywhere else, the migration season has passed. Unlike  many other
places, however, there are still a lot of birds there. I posted an  e-bird
report for June 9th, 10 days ago, I know, but the list would not change  much
today. (List below). However, the birds were unusually active that day and  I
had a fairly high count, particularly Warblers, 15. And more unusual, I
actually saw 11 of the 15 species. Generally I am content to ID them by ear, but
 that day they wanted to show off, perhaps the height of the mating ritual
in  some cases.
I had both Alder and Willow Flycatchers that day, BH year  firsts for both.
The Alder was still there Monday, In the marsh on Barlow Mill  Rd, 100
yards from BH rd., but I have not heard the Willow  since.
The male Acadian flycatcher is still singing, but in a  different place
since the beginning of the month. He (they, hopefully) is just  past the log
depot on the left on Boston Hollow Rd. (old gravel pit).  He  sings
consistently but not often, once every minute or two. Since I found him  there I have
not heard one on the road by the bridge, so I assume the pair moved  there
from last year's nesting site.
Several "yardbird" species are around the new house on Barlow  Mill. Most
of the birds are singing less now than a couple of weeks ago, but  most still
sing occasionally. I suspect that for some species it is so that the
nestlings or those still in the egg are familiar with their  song.
The pair of Wood Ducks was paddling around the new beaver pond  on the left
near the beginning of the dirt portion of BH Rd. Only time I  saw them
there this year.
One species that hasn't been present since about the first of  June is the
Common Ravens. Their nestlings always fledge about then and they  leave
within a day, though sometimes they make appearances later on. This is the
first year I was not lucky enough to catch the momentous day, so I have no idea
how many may have fledged, but I suspect only one, since there was not too
much  noise from the nest.
6-9-13 Ebird list:
Boston Hollow/Barlow Mill, Windham, US-CT
Jun 9, 2013 8:00 AM - 2:00  PM
Protocol: Traveling
5.0 mile(s)
58 species