[CT Birds] Biologist Article

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Thu Jun 20 08:55:03 EDT 2013

Thanks for the article Barbara.  I was just at Cape Cod this past weekend and witnessed first hand the decline of the Tern colonies at Wellfleet, Chatham, and Orleans.  I spoke with the National Seashore wildlife bird technician while at one of the colonies and she reported only two dozen Least terns where there previously were hundreds.  I did see terns bringing small fish back to the nests, but the numbers were just not there.  Coyotes seem to be a large detractor, and I have seen raccoons and foxes running amuck at one location.  Now I know why I haven't seen the Arctic Terns as I had in the past - the food supply!  Terns need islands, and they need food.  I am asking myself what I am doing for conservation now.  This reinforces my conviction to go out there and do something about it, just like speaking up about protecting Hammonasset from development that would harm birds.  If we don't do anything now then just as the article states, Americans will wonder what happened to all the birds.  It is up to us.