[CT Birds] Osprey on Police Antennae

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Fri Jun 21 09:06:02 EDT 2013

Hi Jan,
In recent years, nesting pairs of Ospreys are common on many of the communication towers throughout Fairfield County, and probably beyond. The most amazing Osprey nest is the one high atop the high power lines (east tower) of the Saugatuck River RR bridge, easily seen while speeding over the I-95 bridge (near exit 17). And Peregrines that nest nearby are often atop the west tower. This Osprey nest had been blown down by the high winds of Hurricane Sandy last October, but they have rebuilt the nest this spring.
Also of note is the increased numbers of nesting Common Ravens in CT. This spring Charlie Barnard found a nesting pair on an area communication tower as well.
Frank Mantlik

Sent from my iPhone