[CT Birds] Greenwich Tod's Point Osprey Chicks Update, Saturday June 22

shootsnaps at aol.com shootsnaps at aol.com
Sun Jun 23 11:18:19 EDT 2013

The Osprey chicks seem to be developing well. This is my first time observing a breeding cycle: I'm trying to observe closely. It's hard to tell, but it appears to us the coloration of the two is different.

As we arrived around 2:30 pm, an intruder Osprey was chased by the male. It was interesting to see Mr O visit the nest and leave with food without feeding the chicks. Then, both adults left the nest for a short time: Mr O retired to an overlook perch while Mrs O went off to get some exercise. She returned with a large mat of grass for the nest.

Pix @ http://www.libraphotography.com/osprey-hatchlings-2013.html

We visited the hummingbird nest for a few minutes, but it was unoccupied.

AL Scuterud
Old Greenwich