[CT Birds] Hammonasset and the Road Millings

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Mon Jun 24 09:47:23 EDT 2013

Hi Patrick
That sounds logical. The same exact thing happened at Sherwood Is State Park in Westport, I'm guessing 20+ years ago. The DOT conveniently dumped their asphalt scrapings - tons of it - on the formerly dirt and grass parking field for the East Beach. Like Hammo now, what were once productive rainpools ( for birds) are no longer present. And yes, there is probably a certain amount of petroleum leachate that comes out of those scrapings.
Frank Mantlik
Stratford

Sent from my iPhone