[CT Birds] Grey Squirrel evolution

Michael Sheehan wlgeek at snet.net
Tue Jun 25 23:31:11 EDT 2013

OK, I like to feed the fledgling of Downy- and Red Bellied Woodpeckers. When the once-a-week suet replacement turned into three-times a week, I knew something was amiss. Sure the house sparrows put a dent in the  supply, but the grey squirrels have learned a new trick; or,  at least it's new in my yard. I've been placing the suet brick in the back of the large suet feeder, far enough away from the grid that the squirrels can't easily chew on it.  Generally, they've been content to graze the spillage below the feeders.  But, this morning I watched as three squirrels reached in, grabbed a paw-full of suet and then licked their paws clean.  It's time for red pepper and a hardware cloth squirrel excluder.

wlgeek at snet.net