[CT Birds] Eyes in the field

Mark Szantyr birdinggeek at gmail.com
Wed Jun 26 11:48:44 EDT 2013

You know, i am usually frightened by the implications of the DHS slogan, " if you see something, say something."  But i think we have found a new use for the sentiment that could work. There are a lot of us in the field and at state parks. Many of us carry digital cameras and video cams. We should be recording and documenting every travesty and wrong perpetrated on OUR state parks that will take away from the environmental soundness of the park,by its management, or its users. Dogs off leashes, kite detritus left behind, fishing line and litter discarded in the wild, owl nests being destroyed, rain pools being filled, walkways being parked on, etc. we should document this and flood the media with these images. We should have a tech savvy member of the group start a blog of these things. Not just images but stories and annecdotes. Even rumors!   Maybe we could have a weekly message to the DEEP with a report card grading the weekly " environmental protection" activities. Maybe a Twitter account to report incidents as they are happening...

Arab Spring like coverage could prevent Silent Spring results at our parks.

Mark