[CT Birds] Fwd: shame on us

Michael Richardson msr042377 at gmail.com
Thu Jun 27 13:40:32 EDT 2013

To All,

While it is clear that humans have had a global impact on many species,
including birds, I try very hard to shy away from the concept that we are
more cruel, more invasive, and more destructive that what should be
natural.  Humans are not (to the best of my knowledge) aliens from another
planet, so why do we so often exclude ourselves from the cycle of life?  In
many ways, Mother Nature (as well as the laws of physics) can be as
destructive as humans have ever been.  I mean, locusts invade an area an
completely decimate crops.  Birds move the seeds of invasive plants from
one area to another.  Viruses and fungal infections can be responsible for
nearly destroying an entire species.  Not all forest fires are caused by
man.  Plus there are earthquakes, landslides, volcanoes, tsunamis,
hurricanes, ice-ages and cataclysmic asteroid impact events that nearly
wipe-out all all of life itself. That being said, yes, humans can be very
cruel and ignorant in their acts, but we are also a part of nature, and
should make the mistake of thinking that nature is without cruelty.  I
remind myself of that every time I eat a hamburger or I see an Osprey
carrying half of a fish in its talons.

That being said, I think that there is much that human activists can do to
help preserve our wildlife habitats in Connecticut, however I call upon
this group to give more consideration to considering their actions and how
they represent themselves towards the DEEP and other government bodies.
The least beneficial thing to our cause would be to be labelled as
troublemakers, unyielding, and a constant pain-in-the-ass to our government
officials.  Photographing every injustice, every piece of trash on the
ground, every piece of dog or horse poo and sending it to our elected
officials is wasting both our time and theirs.  They are not going to
respond to it, and it will likely cause them to turn a deaf ear towards our
future requests.  If litter and animal waste is an issue, then my
suggestion is to act upon it directly.  When you go out, bring a bag and
collect as much as you can.  Then, if you so choose, take a photo of your
waste collection achievement and send it to the DEEP.  It shows that you
are willing to be a part of the solution and not just another person
pointing a finger.  That will get their attention.  You can also help to
organize clean-up events.  Many times, local business will be willing to
support the efforts by providing incentives.  (For example, my buddy in the
marketing department at Splash Car Wash might be willing to give free car
washes away to anyone who spends a few hours picking up trash.)

The DEEP has an obligation to keep their parks and forests clean, but it's
an ongoing and difficult thing to manage.  They do not have infinite
resources to address every aspect of it.  They need to rely upon the public
to do what is right, and to give them a hand.  After all, a state park is
OUR park.  We pay taxes to support it and we also share the responsibility
to maintain it.  There is simply no other way for it to run.

As far as the DEEP goes with building parking lots, cutting down trees, and
other threats to wildlife habitat, it's a difficult situation for both
sides.  While the DEEP has an obligation towards protecting the ecology of
an area, the DEEP also has an obligation to provide services for ALL park
visitors, even the ones who do not care about birds.   Some people just
want to sit on the beaches and play Frisbee.  That is their right.  To be a
birder is an enjoyable gift, but not a right to dictate the policies and
best practices of the DEEP.  We must learn to work with them and not
present ourselves as a force against them.  We can call them out on their
mistakes and instruct them on how they can do it better next time, but they
do not answer to us, nor should they have to.  We must be forgiving of
their actions, as they have tough choices to make, limited time
constraints, tight-budgets, and a limited supply of personnel.  I suggest
that we should present ourselves as a force that is willing to educate and
become providers of solutions and keep ourselves separate from the
finger-pointing and vigilante emotional responses.

I too get fed-up when I see the destruction of nature, but I would rather
see this organization (COA) and mailing list be used to provide positive
relations with the DEEP, continue to discuss birds as a general topic, and
if people strongly feel about taking action against the DEEP or other
government body, to try to organize it outside of this mailing list.

Michael Richardson
Norwalk, CT
www.connecticutwilderness.com