[CT Birds] Storm-petrels increasing in number

Thomas Robben robben99 at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 00:46:44 EDT 2013

Today June 27th, on one of Jay Frontierro's excellent SevenSeas whale watch
trips from Gloucester, MA, in foggy southwest Jeffreys Ledge, we had some
nice storm-petrels in the afternoon....

A)  Leach's Storm-petrel  2  traveling within 100 yards of each other.
B)  Wilson's Storm-petrel  40+  widely distributed around the ledge, plus a
few near the harbor.

Unfortunately we had no shearwaters, etc,  thanks possibly to the fog and
visibility varying between 1/4mile and often down to 200 feet.
And one week earlier on this same trip, in beautiful sunny weather, we had
no storm-petrels at all!

So, most likely, there will be some more of these storm-petrels in Long
Island Sound now/soon.

Tom Robben