[CT Birds] Fwd: Hammonasset State Park

Sally Brown sbrown01 at snet.net
Fri Jun 28 04:27:30 EDT 2013

I wrote a letter to Tom Tyler and enclosed several photos of the paved area in question, showing how cars park on the newly paved "walking area" while the beach goers are still forced to walk in the middle of the one-way road.  I also included photos of the last 6 dirt crossovers in the nature center field that are now completely paved over with the millings from I-95.

I received no response from Director Tyler however I did receive a response from Karl Wagener, Director of the Council on Environmental Quality.  He and his Council appear to be our new government allies in keeping our state parks natural and safe for wildlife.

It appears that many of you on this listserv also wrote letters.  Without people speaking out on this listserv, I and many others would not have known of the paving at Hammo (I stay away from the park in the summer).  I only wish someone had posted the incident of the GH owl when it happened.   It is our letter writing en masse that has drawn attention to the current situation.  Never underestimate the "power of the pen".

I would like to applaud Sandy Breslin for her efforts on behalf of CT Audubon in this and all other wildlife and conservation issues.  She is on the front lines on a daily basis in the effort to protect our parks and forests.  I also want to thank those of you who first posted the incident on CTbirds.

Sally Brown
Branford, CT

Begin forwarded message: