[CT Birds] Chester, 6/30 - yellow-billed cuckoos vocal competition

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Sun Jun 30 08:52:52 EDT 2013

Chester, 6/30 - Two YELLOW-BILLED CUCKOOS had a "battle of the bands" in our yard this morning. One consistently gave the "coo...coo" call for about 10 minutes, while the second would occasionally answer with the chattery/warbly "kek-kek-kek". I suspect the "coo-coo" was an interloper - it beat a hasty retreat into the woods (I got a nice look at it during the flyover; what a long tail!), and the chatterer sat triumphantly in the top of our cherry tree, calling one more time before falling silent.
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester