[CT Birds] Nightbird Survey

Jack Swatt jswattbirds at snet.net
Mon Jun 24 11:36:38 EDT 2013

I just finished my second round of the Nightbird Survey for the DEEP last night.  I was hoping the extra bright and close full moon would change my luck and bring out more birds, but again, I only had 1 Whip-poor-will calling in the same spot as earlier this year.  I used to have several survey points with multiple whips calling in the Southington/Wolcott area, but the last few years the number of encounters has dropped off significantly.  Not a good trend.

From Jack Swatt:
6/24/13  Southington, Mount Vernon Rd. Power line cut south of Lake Compounce - 1 WHIP-POOR-WILL