[CT Birds] Greenwich Tod's Point Osprey chicks - June 24

shootsnaps at aol.com shootsnaps at aol.com
Mon Jun 24 15:32:49 EDT 2013

Very hot, sunny, & humid day. As I arrived, three canoes from the town summer camp were in the water circling the island where statue/nest resides. In addition, Mr. O was discouraging another Osprey from the area. Mrs O was in the air calling, circling, trying to get the water intruders to leave. I suppose separate from her efforts, they moved to a different part of the pond, and she settled back into the nest and began feeding. Hope this won't be a problem going forward.

Pix @ http://www.libraphotography.com/osprey-hatchlings-2013.html

I watched the hummingbird nest mentioned previously for almost 20 minutes. This is the longest I've watched. There was no one in it. The last time she was present for me was the 18th. In the past, the female was seen to come and go, so I don't think my presence is a deterrent to her return. The area is not secluded, and there are people/cars there daily. Hope all is OK.

AL Scuterud
Old Greenwich