[CT Birds] Orange backyard

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 28 20:56:22 EDT 2013

Orange, backyard.
Brown thrasher-new yard bird - seen and heard singing beautifully.
There are 3 pairs of catbirds nesting in my yard.  Juvenile Red belly has
learned toe eat from the feeders and suet , and juvenile downy along with
many juvenile grackles and a family of blue jays; a bald titmouse caught my
eye. I'm waiting for the cardinal pair to bring their juveniles to the
My bee balm garden (which has bloomed for 5 years) is decimated this year.
It was blooming beautifully, until the other day,  when I saw that most of
the stalks have been eaten down to nubs. Only a few stalks remain.  Usually
I get several hummingbirds and many butterflies here once they bloom .  I
suspect the deer since the stalks were too high for the woodchucks to munch
on.  Several individual male turkeys making the rounds.
Bev Propen, Orange