[CT Birds] N Stonington Acadian Flycatcher

Robley Evans rjeva at conncoll.edu
Sat Jun 29 10:07:22 EDT 2013

I have heard only one wood thrush (lower Rt 201) this year.  Good to know
others are nearby.  I have to report bad luck for many nesting birds this
summer: great blue heron, I assume, ate the four Canada goose goslings
within twenty-four hours, same for the dozen mallard ducklings and the
dozen wood duck newly-hatched.I have had great egret, great blue,
tri-color, and green herons this summer, but the blue is always present and
the obvious candidate.  House sparrows wiped out the blue bird nest and
drove away tree swallows.  No mockingbirds.  No red-eyed vireos.  Female
house wren vanished, not replaced. Even robins' nests failing.  Rather
dismal history, but for the record.  Barred owl here.

On another note, can anyone tell me what the male bluebird is doing when,
toward the last week before nestlings emerge, he sings around his
territory, and all day, beginning before robins at 4:30 am.  I liked to
think he is "calling" fledglings to leave house.  Doesn't seem likely, in
part because they *don't* emerge.

Robley Evans   North Stonington