[CT Birds] Bluebird Behaviour

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Mon Jul 1 15:40:28 EDT 2013

Was there a rival male (or female) in the area at the time? That would definitely start a male bluebird singing. Bluebirds can have multiple nestings over the course of a season, so if he thought there was any threat to their territory, he might have been in defensive mode.
It is strange, because birds get very quiet during the nestling phase. We usually have no idea there are babies, until there's a very noisy fledge. So a rival - or some danger to the nest like a snake or chipmunk - is probably what set him off.
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester