[CT Birds] Greenwich Tod's Point Osprey Nest update July 2

shootsnaps at aol.com shootsnaps at aol.com
Tue Jul 2 22:59:53 EDT 2013

On my arrival around 11:00 am, there were no adults on the nest. However, I could hear one adult calling from the nearby treeline. The chicks were active, and I saw one flapping it's wings as it moved around the nest. One or both parents occasionally called or circled the nest to let the chicks know they were there.

Finally, Mrs O. arrived and sat with them. Got good shots @ http://www.libraphotography.com/osprey-hatchlings-2013.html

There is a second nest in the harbor on a platform. It is too far away for me to tell if there are chicks, and I have not kept a close watch on them. Today I watched for ~15 minutes. One adult was on a sandbar nearby, eating fish. Another was in a tree overlooking the nest. Eventually, the first flew to the overlook, and the two stood watch over the nest. I assume there are chicks there. I'll have to watch more closely in the future.

We have sunflowers growing in our garden, and today a male goldfinch landed on them, and tried to pull seeds, but they are not yet mature. Should be fun to see them later as the seeds develop.

AL Scuterud
Old Greenwich