[CT Birds] Caribbean bird ID question

Kathy Van Der Aue kathyvda at gmail.com
Thu Jul 4 07:15:52 EDT 2013

Not Connecticut, sorry for the off-topic post, but I have never birded the
Caribbean and wonder if any of you have any ideas about the ID of this bird
my friend saw last night.  Here's her question:

"We just had the most interesting thing happen.  We are moored in the
shallow White Bay on Jost Van Dyke island (British Virgin Island) and were
throwing the fat and gristle from our steak dinner to a big fish off the
back of the boat.    Then a bird came in and took a piece off the water.
 It was full dark and hard to see but seemed to be in the shape of a
smallish Nightjar.  Do you have any idea what it might be? I don't think it
was an owl, but I guess it could have been.  They are meat eaters.  I wish
I could have had a better look but it was just too dark.  Your thoughts?"

Kathy Van Der Aue
Southport, Connecticut