[CT Birds] Another out-of-season Bufflehead and other birds

Christopher Loscalzo closcalz at optonline.net
Thu Jul 4 16:00:45 EDT 2013

7/4/13, in Westbrook, on the Menunketesuck River, Duck Island, and
Menunketesuck Island: one out-of-season Bufflehead and six similarly
out-of-season Brant in the waters near Duck Island.  Duck Island itself has
a heron and ibis rookery that is doing well, despite losing a number of
trees to Superstorm Sandy.  We observed many herons, egrets, and ibis on the
island from our kayaks.  There were several juveniles.  Species seen were:
Little Blue Heron, Black-crowned Night-Heron, Great and Snowy Egret, and
Glossy Ibis. There were also a good number of adult and juvenile Great
Black-backed Gulls there.  On Menunketesuck Island, there was a Ruddy
Turnstone, American Oystercatcher, Willet, Common and Least Tern, and
Spotted Sandpiper.  Notable species in the river marsh included Glossy Ibis,
Little Blue Heron, and Saltmarsh Sparrow.  Full reports on ebird.

Chris Loscalzo and Marianne Vahey,