[CT Birds] Great Pond - Scarlet Tanager, report of Bear and cub in NE Corner of Pond

louise tucker louise40pt at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 9 18:10:26 EDT 2013

Louise P. Tucker
7/9/13
Great Pond, Simsbury:  Between 4:00pm and 4:45 pm -Off path to pond, male Scarlet Tanager seen well on bare branch.
I met a lady who told me that she saw a bear with cub drinking off the "second bridge" in what seems to be the northwest corner of the pond. Even though this would be a "life" mammal, I wasn't brave enough to investigate the sighting for myself. The lady herself left quickly and quietly, observing a Piliated Woodpecker on the way back to the parking lot.
Otherwise, very quiet except for vampire mosquitoes.  No sign of Mississippi Kite.

Louise P. Tucker
Enfield, CT