[CT Birds] Greenwich Tod's Point Osprey nest update July 8, 9, 10

shootsnaps at aol.com shootsnaps at aol.com
Wed Jul 10 22:08:45 EDT 2013

Visited Greenwich Tod's Point Osprey nest on the 8th, and saw feeding and exercising. On the 9th, it rained heavily during my visit. The chicks alternately exercised their wings facing into the winds/rain. This simulates the parents' methods of takeoff. I could not photograph due to the heavy rains. As soon as the rain passed, they stopped exercises. On July 10th, it was very quiet during my observations. Mother remained on the nest, and Father on a branch behind.

New Pix @ http://www.libraphotography.com/osprey-hatchlings-2013.html .

Mentioned earlier this week, we saw a juvenile cowbird being fed by a yellow warbler. On the 10th, I saw a male cardinal feeding a cowbird.

Tide was high along the rocks so there were no shorebirds visible.

AL Scuterud
Old Greenwich