[CT Birds] Mississippi Kite stakeout at Great Pond State Forest

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Wed Jul 10 09:21:12 EDT 2013

Simsbury - I arrived at 7:20am and waited at the south end of the pond just past the small dam where there are several large open viewing areas.  The kite appeared at 8:35 and hawked insects over the pond for 10 minutes, swooping very low at one point, but mostly circling over the pond for excellent views.  It then soared over the trees at the SW end heading out over the parking area and did not return for 20 minutes at which point I left.  Excellent habitat at the pond and surrounding countryside.  Lots of vampire mosquitos so bring long pants/sleeves and bug spray!
P.S. my 2nd attempt after missing it by 15 minutes on Tuesday.

Jul 10, 2013
Great Pond State Forest
0.2 miles
90 Minutes
Observers: 1
1 Mallard
1 Green Heron
1 Mississippi Kite -- Continuing bird at known location,  whitish gray head, white upper wing patches, long pointed wings, hawking insects over the pond.  Viewed from the south end of the pond.
2 Killdeer
1 Spotted Sandpiper
5 Mourning Dove
2 Chimney Swift