[CT Birds] difficult life birds

Glenn Williams gswilliams9 at yahoo.com
Sat Jul 13 14:23:28 EDT 2013

My most vexing life Connecticut bird was the not-uncommon and increasing Clay-colored Sparrow.  I have only seen four; one in Connecticut, two in RI, and one in Massachusetts (I finally had to drive to Newburyport to get my life one).  I have never found one myself.  Three were previously reported and fairly reliable birds.  The fourth was found by Tom Auer as I was standing next to him.  After 20 years, I have pretty good CT and RI lists as well as over 300 birds in Mass; yet in New England I have seen as many or more South Polar Skuas, Sabine's Gulls, Fork-tailed Flycatchers, and Northern Lapwings as I have seen Clay-colored Sparrows.

They are always on my radar and I have spent a fair amount of time in suitable migratory habitats such Harkness and Hammonassett at prime time.  I know that some of you have seen more than one in a single day around here.  I can't explain it.

Glenn Williams