[CT Birds] Hammonasset today

Zack Weber birdingwithzackweber at gmail.com
Sun Jul 14 20:26:34 EDT 2013

Thanks again to everyone who provided advice about looking for birds at
Hammonasset Beach State Park, with special thanks to my local guide, Dan
Rottino and family.  Here is a summary of my trip:

I was at the park from around 8AM until 3:15PM.  Unfortunately I didn't get
an unambiguous look at my target bird, the clapper rail, and didn't hear it
at all.  However I did learn many spots to look for them, and I'm
considering returning next spring when the clappers should be more active
and vocal and the vegetation should allow for better viewing.  On the
positive side, I did get nice looks at the father, mother, and fledgling
boat-tailed grackles.  This was a life bird for me and I was pleasantly
surprised at how handsome the male is.  Here are some other birding
highlights from the day:

little blue heron
little blue heron x tri-colored heron hybrid
ospreys everywhere
glossy ibis
willet chick
purple martin