[CT Birds] Hammonasset issue

Breslin, Sandy sbreslin at audubon.org
Thu Jul 18 21:59:55 EDT 2013

Hi Folks,

Sorry it has taken me so long to respond. Summer is supposed to be the slow time in the world of government affairs, but this year it sure has been busy. Here is where we are currently on the Hammo issues:

Patrick Comins, Milan Bull, Tina Green and I are headed for a meeting w DEEP - Deputy Cmr. Susan Whalen, Parks Director, Tom Tyler, Bureau of Natural Resources Chief, Bill Hyatt and Wildlife Director, Rick Jacobsen - on July 24th.

I've started drafting a memo re Park actions that have harmed birds, bird habitat or opportunities for birding based on the information that everyone provided. I am hoping to circulate it in the next day or two so we can get some feedback prior to the meeting.

I have photos from various sources of Hammo and the GH Owl incident, but please let me know if you have new observations, photos or thoughts to share.

Based on your communications and my remarks at their July meeting, CEQ has written to Parks indicating that they have received complaints and asking for information. They will continue to follow up on the issue.

I have already mentioned to Deputy Cmr. Whalen that we would like to host an open meeting for DEEP  and the birding community can we provide input on issues we've observed w Park management. Let's see what she says about that.

I view the upcoming meeting as the beginning of a conversation with DEEP - -  our end goal being to better integrate consideration of bird/wildlife habitat and BIRDING into Park management.  As part of this effort, we are probably going to need to develop a mechanism for providing DEEP with ongoing information about on-the-ground conditions - hopefully in advance of really boneheaded moves like the tree cutting by the owl nest.

I have started saying that one person's pothole is another's shorebird pool. To me that means we need to help DEEP see Hammo and other parks from a bird and birder's perspective.

Finally, I sure don't see any reason why you should not continue to express concerns, observations or suggestions or - in other words - keep the pressure on. "Endless pressure, endlessly applied" as Brock Evans says - my favorite description of what it takes to advocate for the environment!

We'll keep you posted.

All the best,

Sandy