[CT Birds] Milford/Stratford 7/20 (Stilt Sandpiper, etc)

Nick Bonomo nbonomo at gmail.com
Sat Jul 20 14:58:26 EDT 2013

I birded Milford and Stratford today from about 0815 until 1345, joined for
most of the time by Frank Gallo. Here are some highlights.

Milford Pt - adult STILT SANDPIPER briefly landed on the bars but didn't
stick for long, PECTORAL SANDPIPER, 1450 Semipalmated Sandpipers, and a few
recently fledged Least and Common Terns around the colony. Bank, Tree, Barn
Swallows and Purple Martins hawking insects along the beach.

Ran into Steve Spector on our way out, who noted that the Stilt Sandpiper
was in the marsh sometime yesterday.

The water level at the Access Road pool in Stratford is prime for
shorebirds, at least before today's potential storms.

We searched the Stratford Point area for a bit without seeing or hearing
the White-winged Dove, which has not been reported for several days now.

The cold front scheduled to arrive this afternoon and its associated severe
weather may knock down migrating birds, so a post-storm check this evening
or early tomorrow could yield new arrivals.

Nick Bonomo
Wallingford, CT
www.shorebirder.com