[CT Birds] Hammonasset 7/20 (Stilt Sandpipers, etc)

Russ Smiley arsmiley at comcast.net
Sat Jul 20 16:49:43 EDT 2013

Hammonasset Beach SP, Madison CT, 7/20: (Nick's previous post motivated this
reply.) In search of some uncommon terns at 8:00 this morning, I found none.
However, after crossing paths with Jack Faller and Jim Carr at the Boulder
Pond, we saw a PECTORAL SANDPIPER among the short-billed dowitchers and
scores of semipalmated sandpipers. I headed to Meig's Point where I found a
single spotted sandpiper among the two dozen cormorants, ten or so common
terns, and a laughing gull. On the return to the Boulder Pond I found the
HYBRID TRICOLORED X LITTLE BLUE HERON. Two birds that I thought at the time
to be pale dowitchers were instead STILT SANDPIPERS. I found one of the
fledgling BOAT-TAILED GRACKLES in the parking lot at the Willard's Island
picnic area.

Russ Smiley
Marlborough, CT