[CT Birds] Greenwich Tod's Point Osprey young update July 21

shootsnaps at aol.com shootsnaps at aol.com
Sun Jul 21 23:30:07 EDT 2013

I returned to Tod's Point today, 9 days since my last observation, and find the young have matured substantially, but not yet fledged. They were alone on the nest with Mr O watching from the trees nearby. Mrs O was not found during my visit. At first I thought the adults were on the nest, but looking closer I could see they  were still the young. Late afternoon, they were both active excercising their wings for several seconds at a time. As before, they turn into the wind when they practice. I think one of the shots captures a complete liftoff from the nest.

Is it possible to determine sex of the young at this stage? One appears to be quite white on the breast, while the other is somewhat brown. Also, their eyes are still dark, not the yellow of their parents.

PIX at http://www.libraphotography.com/osprey-growing-up-2013.html.

We visited Maine this week, including a successful 'Puffin Watch' boat trip from New Harbor, ME. Hard to get good pix of such a small bird from a moving boat, but I'm going through a couple hundred shots to try to publish a few good ones.

AL Scuterud
Old Greenwich