[CT Birds] TOMORROW - Join Governor Malloy to Celebrate Southbury Training School Protection at 1:30 pm!

Breslin, Sandy sbreslin at audubon.org
Mon Jul 15 19:47:41 EDT 2013

Dear CT Birders:

You are invited to the Governor's Bill Signing Ceremony for legislation protecting the undeveloped lands at the Southbury Training School. The property hosts an abundance of bird and other wildlife, including state listed species.

Landmark legislation, Public Act 13-90<http://search.cga.state.ct.us/2013/ACT/pa/pdf/2013PA-00090-R00HB-06542-PA.pdf>, An Act Concerning the Preservation of Farmland at the Southbury Training School will not only transfer custody of almost 800 acres of land from the Department of Developmental Services to the CT Department of Agriculture, but will also allow DoAg to grant a conservation easement to a third party (the Southbury Land Trust is the expected easement holder) to guarantee that the lands are conserved for agricultural use and related conservation purposes forever.

Protecting these lands has been a priority for Audubon Connecticut, whose Bent of the River Center is nearby, but credit goes largely to the Southbury Land Trust, which led the charge advocating for protection of the property, in partnership with farmland preservation allies such as Working Lands Alliance, Farm Bureau, DoAg Commissioner, Steve Reviczky, and Southbury State Representative Arthur O'Neill.  Audubon and the CT Land Conservation Council worked hard to ensure that the easement and management plan called for in the final legislation comport with best land conservation practices and protect all the natural resources of the site.

What:   Governor's Bill Signing Ceremony - Public Act 13-90 Protecting Southbury Training School
When: TOMORROW, July 16th at 1:30 PM
Where: Southbury Training School Farm, just off Route 172 at the corner of Spruce Brook Road and Cassidy Road in Southbury. Look for the tent!

DIRECTIONS: The Southbury Training School property is easily reach off I-84 Exit 14. Head north on Route 172, as if you were going to the Audubon Center at Bent of the River. Continue north past East Flat Hill Road in South Britain to the intersection with Spruce Brook Road. Turn left on Spruce Brook Road to the intersection w Cassidy Road. The event is being held under a tent on the Farm itself.  There's parking at a nearby building.

I hope you will be able to join us! We want to show the Governor that the birding community supports this legislation and the process that it lays out for ensuring the Ag and ecological viability of the property.

If you have questions, please feel free to contact Sandy by email sbreslin at audubon.org<mailto:sbreslin at audubon.org> or cell at (203) 804-0488.

Hope to see you there!

- Sandy

Director of Governmental Affairs
Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488
(203) 804-0488 cell (Best)
(203) 264-5098 x306
(203) 264-6332 fax

Audubon Connecticut, the state organization of the National Audubon Society, works to protect birds, other wildlife and their habitats using education, science and conservation, and legislative advocacy for the benefit of people and the earth's biological diversity. Through our network of nature education centers, protected wildlife sanctuaries and local, volunteer chapters, we seek to connect people with nature and inspire the next generation of conservationists.