[CT Birds] Tern Fishing ID help needed

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Thu Jul 18 10:23:27 EDT 2013

I had two sightings of a large tern or terns today at Sandy Pt.

The first was seen feeding by skimming  from the surface of the water by dipping its bill (or entire head) in the water.  it did not plunge dive.  From what I understand that is not a behavior of Royal, but is a behavior of Caspian.  Is that correct?

The second sighting involved a bird passing almost directly overhead.  It appeared to have a black cap and orange red bill.  The underside of the primaries was light.  I saw no dark on the undersides except for the very outermost primary so I thought this was Royal.

Comments please.