[CT Birds] CACC

Beverly Propen bpropen at gmail.com
Wed Jul 24 13:46:01 EDT 2013

7/24  Milford, Connecticut Audubon Coastal Center,  10-1Pm, overcast, 83F,
mid tide rising.
Unusual day.....
First an unusual female duck appeared in the morning, in a group of 4
others (I had assumed mallards, but I should have looked more carefully).
When it came on shore , and later (around noon) swimming in the marsh and
in the grasses,  it had distinctive facial markings- thick white eyebrow
stripe from bill to side of cheek/neck, pale spot by base of bill, dull
orangey color thick bill with dark spot at tip.  Primary feathers seem to
have bluish coloration .  I showed it to Frank Gallo who showed me pictures
of Garganey in Sibley's.  I checked Peterson's also and Peterson's
mentioned that they are vagrants, seen occasionally on east coast.  Frank
Gallo got pictures of it.  It was definitely an unusual female- I wouldn't
feel comfortable identifying it, other than it was different than other
female ducks I have seen.  It did look like the Garganey in the bird
guides. It's white supercillium almost looked the ones of males in the
pictures.
okay-now for our osprey drama.  The juvenile had not flown while I was
there.  No hopping and wing flapping like last week.   At 10:40  the male
brought in a fish which he proceeded to eat on his perch.  At 11:15 he
brought the remainder of the fish on the nest and the juvenile was eating
it, when at 11:50, the female joined in the feast.  But the drama occurred
when 4 other ospreys were circling overhead, when the male had returned
with the fish.  The female was very distressed and constantly calling for
about 10 minutes as the 4 ospreys circled.  That is the highest number of
"stray" ospreys I have seen.
Birds seen on the marsh and grounds include:
Purple martins at the gourd condos and flying through the marsh, tree
swallows, Barn swallows, cardinals, Song sparrows, house sparrows, house
finches, Goldfinches, mourning doves, grackles, starlings, Carolina wrens.
On marsh: D.C. Cormorant, Great blue heron, 1 Canada goose, Snowy egrets,
Great egrets, Least terns fishing, 100+ Peeps (in several groups)  flying
through marsh,  some semipalmated sandpipers on mud flats,  Ring billed
gulls.
Bev Propen, Orange