[CT Birds] Turkey Vulture Behavoir

teustis at killingworthlibrary.org teustis at killingworthlibrary.org
Thu Jul 25 19:56:15 EDT 2013

Hi, Bruce!
I've seen this behavior before, in other roosting vultures. According to the vulturesociety.homestead.com website: "Turkey Vultures are often seen standing in a spread-winged stance. This is called the "horaltic pose." The stance may serve multiple functions, including warming the body and drying the wings. Research on this pose suggests that turkey vultures spread their wings in the mornings, once the sun's intensity reaches a certain level, to raise their body temperature (which they lower at night by a few degrees as an energy saving mechanism)."
Didn't know there was a name for it!
~ Tammy Eustis, Chester