[CT Birds] New Haven Bird Club August

Larry Bausher LPBausher at comcast.net
Fri Jul 26 09:24:14 EDT 2013

Folks,

Here is the New Haven Bird Club’s schedule of activities during August:

Beginner’s Bird Walk at Sandy Point IBA, West Haven.  Friday, August
2, 6:00 pm
On this walk, we will focus on beach-nesting birds, such as the
piping plover, and other shorebirds that use Sandy Point to rest and
refuel during migration. Participants will also learn about threats
to beach-nesting birds and strategies for protecting them.  This walk
is geared to beginners but birders of all levels are invited to
participate. Families are welcome. Birders with more advanced skills
not only can enjoy a day out but also provide support and inspiration
to the newcomers. The parking lot for Sandy Point is located on Beach
Street, about a quarter mile east of Chick’s restaurant. Leader:
Corrie Folsom-O'Keefe: 203 630-9640 or cfolsom-okeefe at audubon.org

Menunketesuck Flats and River Marsh and Salt Meadow Unit, Westbrook.
Sunday, August 11, 2013, 7:00 am.  A new trip to a new location!  We
will walk along Seaside Avenue in Westbrook and out onto Menunketsuck
Flats at low tide to look for shorebirds, terns and waterfowl.  The
two-mile round trip walk will be followed by a visit to the Salt
Meadow Unit of the Stewart B. McKinney National Wildlife Refuge where
we’ll look out into the marsh.  This is one of the best locations in
the state for Little Blue Heron and Glossy Ibis.  There are woods and
brushy fields in the refuge that will feature land birds.  Meet at
the Dunkin Donuts parking lot on Route 1 where it intersects with
Seaside Avenue (near Kingfisher Lane!) in Westbrook.  Wear shoes that
you won’t mind getting wet or muddy.  Leader: Chris Loscalzo: 203
389-6508 or closcalz at optonline.net.

Jamaica Bay National Wildlife Refuge, Queens, NY.  Saturday, August
17, 7:30 am
This birding hot spot is a great place to see a wide variety of
shorebirds, herons, terns, and migrating passerines.  It is a great
place for uncommon large shorebirds such as American Avocet, Marbled
Godwit, and Buff-breasted, Stilt, and White-rumped Sandpiper.  Meet
at 7:30 am at the commuter lot in Orange at Rte 34 and Greenway Road
(at exits 57/58 of the Wilbur Cross Pkwy).  We will carpool to the
refuge, returning in the late afternoon.  Bring lunch, water, and bug
spray.  Consider a cap and sunscreen, and wear shoes you won't mind
getting muddy.  Leader: Chris Loscalzo: 203 389-6508 or
closcalz at optonline.net.

Lighthouse Point Bird Walk and Prep for Migration Festival.
Saturday, August 24, 8:00  am .  Ranger Dan Barvir and Arne Rosengren
will lead the bird walk.  We’ll meet at the Hawk Watch parking lot at
Lighthouse Point on New Haven Harbor.  Then, beginning at 9:30 am, we
will perform some light trail maintenance and cleanup.  This is a
great way to enjoy looking at birds and help preserve their habitat
at the same time.  Leaders: Dan Barvir: 203 946-6086 and Arne
Rosengren: 203 248-2903.

Thanks,
Larry Bausher, West Haven
NHBC Publicity Director