[CT Birds] Good field guide

Jonah Cohen jonahc at cox.net
Fri Jul 26 19:39:40 EDT 2013

I'm not sure  if this makes me old fashioned, but I'd go with the Peterson Guide. The patented arrow system helps with key field marks, and the fact that it's divided into two books (one foe eastern, one for the west) means less time flipping thru species that are extremely unlikely to be where you are at the moment. The maps are in the back of the book, but I find them easier to read than the ones on the same page as the bird pics, which are often small enough that I'm thinking "Does that range include Connecticut?"

If staying local, the Smithsonian Handbooks Birds of New England is worth a look, too. A full page for each species, much info on similar species and more.

Jonah Cohen
Newington