[CT Birds] ot Giant Swallowtail

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Sat Jul 27 08:31:45 EDT 2013

Off topic, but I know a lot of folks are interested in butterflies as well.  I had a giant swallowtail yesterday after work at the Bent of the River in Southbury.  It was nectaring on bergamot in Althea's Meadow (South of the Barn).  Some had hypothesized that we would get another invasion this year because of last year's incursion and the late freeze of last fall. This allowed any caterpillars to reach chrysalis stage where they could make it through the winter.  My first one last year was August 16th, so this is earlier.

Photos here:
http://wxedge.com/articles/20130727theyre_baaackkk

Patrick

Patrick M. Comins