[CT Birds] Good field guide (plus your local bird club's field trips) = New motivated birder

Thomas Robben robben99 at gmail.com
Sun Jul 28 23:37:25 EDT 2013

OK, you can not beat the "Peterson FIRST Guide to Birds" for small size and
weight and low price, but it covers only 188 species in its 128 pages and
even the backyard-only new bird watcher will occasionally need more than
that. I think this is a great little book to trigger the curiosity and
start the new/future/young birder on a good path, but after 10 or 20 or 50
hours of field-birding the new birder will need more, such as the "Peterson
FIELD Guide To Birds...", so get both those Peterson bird books (plus the
other guides eventually). And somewheres in there the best advice for a new
birder is to join their local bird club (such as www.ctbirding.org or
www.hartfordaudubon.org) and go out on their field trips with experienced
birders to a variety of habitats.... there is no quicker or better way to
come up the learning ramp quickly (and get to know some of the nearby
friendly birders).

And while we are on this subject, wouldn't it be great if each of us could
get one more really young person interested in birds and nature this year!
Maybe "drag" your child or your brother's child or your niece's child out
on one of the more exciting field trips, especially those to remote places
they would not normally go to! Give them an unforgettable taste of a dark
forest or a marsh before dawn. We are going to need all the
environment-aware help we can get.

Tom Robben