[CT Birds] All 5 BTGrackles

Dan Rottino rottino at hotmail.com
Mon Jul 22 18:56:00 EDT 2013

Today at Hammonasset SP 5 BOAT-TAILED GRACKLE near the bird blind at the nature center parking lot.  1 male nearby but clearly separate from the rest.  1 female, 3 juveniles.  Female making continual trips to marsh bringing back food to feed at least 2 of the young.  1 juvenile made a few excursions of its own presumably  feeding itself.  Some movements I couldn't figure out but the family seems healthy.  I was glad to see all 5 since recent reports all had only one or two in differing combinations and thought other birders would like to know.  The summering greater scaup and 4 female red-breasted mergs also continue as do the LITTLE BLUE HERON and LITTLE BLUE X TRICOLORED HERON hybrid.