[CT Birds] Greenwich Tod's Point Osprey update, July 22

shootsnaps at aol.com shootsnaps at aol.com
Mon Jul 22 21:57:51 EDT 2013

Viewed the nest for almost an hour. Unlike yesterday, Mrs. O was on the nest. One chick did some serious excercises, more than once for 40 seconds. I can shoot stills or video, but not both at the same time. I got a few good stills, and have posted them.

The chick points into the wind, and begins to flap. It gets airborne by 'jumping' with its legs, but as you can see in the pix, it now remains airborne for short periods. Yesterday it seemed less time in the air. I'm really surprised at the apparent inattention from the Mom. Totally nonchalant. The sibling does sometimes watch. An Osprey flew by at high altitude, and Mrs O became vocal until it left the area. I did not see Mr. O in his usual spot in the treeline.

Does Mom's presence in the nest indicate she thinks fledging is soon to come?
Are their feathers flight worthy yet? Would appreciate any comments.

AL Scuterud