[CT Birds] Draft Agenda for DEEP meeting

Breslin, Sandy sbreslin at audubon.org
Tue Jul 23 19:30:23 EDT 2013

Hi Folks,

I'm still pulling together a memo regarding state park management actions that have impacted birds, bird habitat and birding opportunities based on the comments that you provided. We are not going to deliver the memo to DEEP tomorrow, but would like to provide it to them in the next few days. If you have any additional information, especially about experiences at parks other than Hammonasset, that would be very helpful. I'll share the memo once it's finished for comment.

For your review, I've pasted our draft agenda below. It's not carved in stone - just a guide to help structure our discussion.

Please let me know if you have any questions or suggestions.

Thanks so much!

- Sandy

Director of Governmental Affairs
Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road
Southbury, CT 06488
(203) 804-0488 cell (Best)
(203) 264-5098 x306
(203) 264-6332 fax

Audubon Connecticut, the state organization of the National Audubon Society, works to protect birds, other wildlife and their habitats using education, science and conservation, and legislative advocacy for the benefit of people and the earth's biological diversity. Through our network of nature education centers, protected wildlife sanctuaries and local, volunteer chapters, we seek to connect people with nature and inspire the next generation of conservationists.

Recent issues

  *   Hammonasset Beach State Park
     *   Disturbance to Great Horned Owl nest
     *   Paving and grading at East Beach parking lot
     *   Filling at Meig's Point overflow lot
  *   Other State Parks - Sherwood Island
  *   Access - Opportunity to create a Bird Stamp

  *   Process for consulting Wildlife Division prior to park improvements, i.e. habitat modifications

     *   Staff capacity to provide consultation

  *   Process for consulting existing Management Plans - for parks, for NAPs

  *   Integrating wildlife considerations into training and planning

     *   Train park superintendents in natural resource management
     *   Prioritize green infrastructure and low impact solutions - seize the opportunity to educate park goers about these approaches that also create habitat for wildlife
     *   Encourage staff to explore alternative actions w lesser impacts
     *   Ensure DEEP or USFWS biologist is present when conducting high risk/high impact activities
     *   Solicit input from the bird and bird conservation community re areas of high value for birds, birding or other wildlife

Action Steps

  *   Audubon Alliance and COA would like to host a meeting w DEEP to
     *   Discuss concerns and solicit input
     *   Specific focus on Hammonasset
     *   Include DEEP Wildlife, Habitat, Parks staff members
  *   Develop a map for each park indicating important habitat or birding areas
     *   Update of CWCS offers an opportunity to gather input from birding stakeholders

  *   Work together to preserve and enhance bird habitat - and the birding experience - at state parks

     *   Establish ongoing dialogue with clear lines of communication
     *   Identify opportunities to enhance wildlife habitat and provide educational experiences for park visitors (demonstration gardens such as bird and butterfly, native plantings, rain gardens, reduced mowing, interpretive signage etc.)
     *   Encourage park uses that are compatible with bird and wildlife resources
     *   Promote birding and wildlife watching at State Parks and within Connecticut