[CT Birds] DEEP Meeting Summary

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Fri Jul 26 21:49:34 EDT 2013

Since licenses are required for fishing in salt or fresh water, maybe it is just assumed the person with fishing gear has a license, or they're risking some fines.

The birding stamp was my suggestion.  It has been discussed for many years as a potential way to raise revenue for non-game wildlife conservation.  Any stamp would have to be voluntary, because it would be absurd to require a license for birding.  It would be nice however if there were some benefits to having the stamp, as is the case for federal Duck Stamps.   It is true that the proceeds of federal duck stamps go to preserve habitat for both game and non-game species and state stamps go to habitat protection (and perhaps management?), but many birders I have talked to would rather purchase something directly tied to birds and birding for a variety of reasons.

This all reminds me, I have to by the new duck stamp.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road