[CT Birds] Flagged Piping Plovers

Comins, Patrick PCOMINS at audubon.org
Mon Jul 29 15:44:36 EDT 2013

With the help of local Piping Plover monitors in New Brunswick and Prince Edward Island, researchers from Environment Canada captured 28 adult plovers on nest (14 males and 14 females) in June 2013, uniquely marking them with a metal band on the left upper leg and a coded black or white flag on the other upper leg. Codes are 2 characters, of letters and/or numbers, on the flag tab. (Flags are colour bands with a tab sticking out slightly from the leg - see attached photo). The code is unlikely to be read without the use of a telescope or telephoto lens. If you see one of these birds and are able to read the flag (or take a photo of the flag), please report the sighting to Dr. Cheri Gratto-Trevor at cheri.gratto-trevor at ec.gc.ca or 306-975-6128. Please note the flag colour and behaviour and location of the bird, as well as the date. The work in 2013 was intended to test the effectiveness of the flags on Piping Plovers, for a potential future study aimed at determining why Eastern Canada plover numbers are still declining, even though productivity is usually high.

Hopefully the photo can be seen here:
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=359866774116633&set=a.246562718780373.35330.168520783251234&type=1&relevant_count=1

Reminder, there are also color banded Roseate Terns floating about.  I will try to find the original post about that so we have the info on where to report them to.

Patrick M. Comins
Director of Bird Conservation

Audubon Connecticut
185 East Flat Hill Road