[CT Birds] Immature Northern Goshawk?

Jim Pfeifer Jim.Pfeifer at erm.com
Thu Aug 1 12:26:42 EDT 2013

This morning in Somers, along Hall Hill Road, I had either a very large immature female Coopers or male N. Goshawk perched along the edge of the woods.  Back side of bird had some light spotting, but I've seen Coopers with similar spotting in the past.  Tail looked rounded, and the bands looked a bit uneven, but not convincing.  Could not get a look at the bird from the front.  Side view of head showed no obvious white eyebrow.  Anyway, as usual, I continue to struggle with the immature Accipiters....proly not alone.

Jim