[CT Birds] Little Blue Heron + The Preserve

John Ogren northernrail at comcast.net
Mon Aug 5 20:02:52 EDT 2013

from John and Rebecca Ogren
8/4- Old Saybrook, Plum Bank Marsh- 8 Adult Little Blue Heron and up to 12 im. Little Blue Heron fly over at dusk heading to towards Duck Island/Westbrook.
 I have also started seeing a few Salt Marsh Sparrows in the last 2-4 weeks, but not close to the numbers in the past. For the last 3 years or so this marsh has been flooded every full moon and on every heavy rain storm or wind out of the northeast. When I first moved here in 1992 the marsh would get flooded maybe 2-3 times a summer.
On a positive note as mentioned last week-a deal has been worked out for the acquisition of the 1000 acre "Preserve". We in Old Saybrook have been fighting this battle since the 1990's. This was the main reason I became a member of the OS Land Trust.  Originally Lehman Brothers was to build over 220 homes and a PGA quality golf course here which would have totally destroyed this property. This is the last large coastal forest between NY and Boston. It contains the headwaters of 3 different watersheds that empty into Long Island Sound. It also has over 40 vernal pools.
   Now if everything goes as planned it will become a part of Old Saybrook's park system and will be integrated into the adjacent 500 acre Great Cedars
Park to be used for trails, nature study, etc.. Pretty cool!

John Ogren