[CT Birds] Sandy Point shorebirds, raptors

Frank Mantlik mantlik at sbcglobal.net
Wed Aug 7 07:20:33 EDT 2013

Among the shorebirds 8/6 were my first juvenile Least Sandpipers (2) of the season at Sandy Point, and another at Oak Bluff in Stratford.  I missed seeing the Western Sandpiper that John Oshlick had found. However I saw a Semipalmated Sandpiper that John found there that was wearing a USFWS band on the right leg, and a blue leg flag ("JNH") on the left leg.  We'll submit the sighting to the Banding Lab.

Also yesterday, there were almost no terns around:
Sandy Point: 4 Common, 1 Least
Milford Point: 15 Common, 12 Least.
It seems after the largely failed nestings this year that the majority of terns have departed the area.

Frank Mantlik
Stratford