[CT Birds] Milford Point sandbars

kmueller at ntplx.net kmueller at ntplx.net
Wed Aug 7 21:50:28 EDT 2013

I must have missed this....where did this quote come from??

Nick and Mark are 100% on! I am not aware of any study that proves
responsible birders who are doing what they have been doing for years
have caused any disturbance to the breeding birds WITHIN the fenced in
areas. I and many other responsible birders know very well how to walk
slowly well below the enclosures along the low water line without
raising one feather.....something that many of us have done for
decades!!!

Never mind about the hundreds of beach worshipers, fisherman, careless
joggers and so on and on. What about all the stray cats, dogs,
raccoons, opossums, and Norway rats that I have seen running along the
beach and through the enclosures? Are we to assume that if young
nestlings are killed, abandoned or missing (most likely the result of
nocturnal quadrupeds) that its the fault of responsible birders?

The word selfish is a very harsh word considering that every birder I
know is incredibly conscientious when it comes to the safety of birds
especially during the nesting season. Since July and August are prime
time Shorebirding season, just about every birder I know looks forward
to these two months. And looking at the geography of the CT coast,
there are basically two prime Shorebirding spots: Sandy Point, NH and
Milford Point, period!! We are not blessed with the spectacular and
vast areas such as along the Mass. coast. We have only a few small
areas to shorebird, and a short time frame to bird those areas.

Insulting responsible birders by accusing us of being selfish just
because we want to enjoy what we love in a small window of opportunity
on a very small piece of real estate is disturbing.....especially
since there are SO MANY OBVIOUS (non-birder) OFFENDERS running up and
down the beach who could honestly care less about nesting terns!

What next, birding police, guards, cameras?? It just gets more
ridiculous everyday!

Keith Mueller
Killingworth